I hate my job. There, I said it. Now that we have that out of the way, let me explain what this blog is about. In life, everyone has tough choices to make. Where to live, what to eat, what color collar you new chihuahua named Princess is going to have, etc.
When I think about my first statement, “I hate my job,” I feel like I’m forced to settle on one of three choices: 1) Suck it up, ya big baby – EVERYONE hates their job. 2) Quit! You should do what you love! Yay! Or 3) Deal with it while you can still somewhat bare it and use your time, resources and motivation to slowly transition into the life you’ve always dreamed of.
You can probably guess that I have decided to go with #3 – based on my extremely biased wording and also the writing cliché of saving the best answer for last. But let me defend my decision by running though the problems with the first two choices:
1) Suck it up: Although it does SEEM like everyone hates their job, they don’t, at least not everyone. Many, many people can’t sleep at night because they’re so excited for what the next day brings. You’re probably trying to envision who the heck this might be. No, it is not those debutants that drinks Patron and dances on tables until 6am because their daddy owns a franchise of restaurants and overcompensates for not spending time with them by giving them 3 Platinum MasterCard’s. Instead, I’m talking about real genuine human beings that work extremely hard but absolutely love what they do. If you’re anything like me, this is the ultimate destination. This is the Utopia. So “sucking it up” has no place in my life. Why should I be miserable, unproductive, and zombified for 8-12 hours every day??? You should ask this question too.
2) Quit!: I will guarantee that everyone that reads this has thought about quitting their job at one point or another (or 1000 points). It is natural as human beings to fantasize and dream about not having to listen to that incredibly annoying alarm you set on your cell phone to wake up at the crack of dawn every workday. Or, on a whim, get on Expedia and book a flight to Rio De Janeiro so you can lay on the beach and stick your toes in the sand without having to get out an excel sheet to calculate how many vacation hours you are going to have to use to make it work. The problem with #2 is 99.99% of us can’t just quit. We need a job. We need income and benefits. And not just off and on, we need them constantly. Maybe you do have enough money saved up to be able to live for 6 months or a year, but what happens if you suddenly get injured in a car accident? Without health insurance, you’re pretty much SOL.
Going along with this, don’t ever listen to people on TV or books that claim, “work form home for 2 hours a week and make $200,000.” This is absolute total BS and they know it. But I will give them credit, they’ve probably become their own best example – by selling people on their own fictitious lies, they’ve likely become rich with little effort after putting some tapes or books together and filming their cheesy infomercial.
Unfortunately, we can’t all be TV infomercial salesman. Quitting your job spontaneously because you hate it is so ridiculously risky, though noble, that it could make you hate your life even more than before.
This leads me to why I chose 3) Deal with it while you can still bare it. Grind it out and use your time, resources and motivation to slowly transition into the life you’ve always dreamed of. Although I know I cannot do what I’m doing now (see about me section) for the rest of my life, I know that it would be stupid, very selfish, and likely unsuccessful for me to just yell “I quit!” and walk out the door. Instead, I plan on using my skills as a young entrepreneur to start my own business (or businesses) while still having a steady income and benefits. I’m calling this this process “Double Dipping”. Gradually, I will wean myself off the corporate bottle and become independently successful and happy.
Although I’ve talked a lot about myself and my story, this blog is really not going to be just about me, it will be about the concept of the Double Dip. I will discuss strategies, obstacles, entrepreneurship, and an endless amount of other topics. Please, please keep reading and post any and every comment you have – whether it’s positive or negative. I want this blog to be fun, interactive, and informative. Thank you and look for new stuff very soon!
-RJ
No comments:
Post a Comment